Here are some tips that you should keep in mind as you write a good resume and market yourself:
- The reviewer usually takes less than 5 minutes to go through your resume, so make all information clear and concise.
- Summarize your educational background, scores, key skills, objectives etc
- Highlight your skills and experience . eg: 2 years of experience in SystemVerilog based UVM methodology etc
- Summarize your past job experience and key projects.
- Don’t make your resume like a novel. Best practice is to keep it short with 2 to 3 pages maximum.
- First page should also have your contact details – keeping your phone number and personal email-id are good enough.
- It is also advised to have a linked in profile and presence in several other active discussion forums so that your skills are visible to others easily.
Details on Summary, Skills, Work Experience, Education:
Summary: Start with a summary of your profile which should highlight your number of years of work experience, educational background, scores, awards and recognition’s, key skills you possess and the type of job you are looking for. Keep the summary simple and limit to 2 or 3 lines
Technical Skills: include programming languages or HDLs, Technologies known, familiar Tools, etc. Don’t mention skills which are really not good at or at least have some good understanding. Be aware that your interviewer will ask questions about these skills and it may not look good if you are not able to answer. You can also optionally mention your experience level. For eg you can mention SystemVerilog (beginner level/experienced etc)
Work Experience: For each company you worked in, mention your designation/role, company name, location and period of work. Always write the list in chronological order from latest to oldest.
Education: Mentioning your degree and masters is normally enough along with the college/university name as well as scores. The more experienced you are, the work experience will have more value over this. If you are a fresher or relatively less experienced, this will have more value.
Projects/Work Experience: List the projects that you worked on in your prior job or academically in chronological order (latest to oldest) along with duration. Restrict details to a short paragraph of about 3 to 4 lines highlighting the technology , complexity and challenges in project. However you should also be thorough with finer details and explanations so that you can answer related questions in interviews and make a positive impression
Once you have added details, review yourself and make sure you understand everything about it. You can also review with a few friends or colleagues but more importantly if you have highlighted your skills and details well, you should be confident of yourself.