Preparation is a must to do thing if you want to succeed in doing anything. And when it comes to a job interview, there is no other short cut but to prepare to the best so that you can crack it successfully.
Whether you are a fresh college graduate or an experienced engineer or a manager or a CEO of a company, some day you might need to face an interview for a new job. Hence interview skills and practice are an important part of your career.
Follow some of the following tips to give you the best chance of getting a job.
Creating a Resume
The first step as you prepare for a job is to create a Resume which talks about yourself and what makes you unique for the job.
Here are some guides that will help you in creating an impressive resume for an ASIC/SOC Verification Job
How to prepare for a Digital VLSI/SOC Verfication Interview?
Different employers will have different types of interviews to assess you skills, but there are a lot of things which are common in terms of your preparation.
Before the interview, the first step is to do some general research and planning which helps you focus on your preparation steps.
- Find out the interview selection process – Written test, Telephonic, one-to-one interviews, video/skype interview etc
- Do some research about the employer – Know about their products/services, read through their websites, find if you have any close contacts in the company using your social network like Linked in etc which will help you in terms of understanding the job and the team etc
- Know about the job/role/skills required – This is where you can expect
- Do some research on the types of questions that employer could ask – Preparing for typical interview questions will help you boost your confidence
- Prepare for some questions to ask employer towards end so that you better understand the job/employer and will help you finally to make a judgement after interview process.
Based on your past work experience, be prepared with following:
- Your Work history – Refresh about your past projects, skills gained/applied, complexities handled etc. If you have done your projects well and in depth, this should not be a big deal, but it is always good to refresh and be thorough
- If you are a fresh graduate – Refresh all the fundamental and important subjects you have learned, the projects and internships that you would have done and be thorough as you can expect questions from this.
Some Interview Tips/Checklist
Follow some of these tips as you are getting ready for facing that interview with high confidence
- Make sure your resume is up to date and has all information clear and crisply written.
- Follow the resume guidelines as mentioned above.
- Get prepared yourself to answer basic questions like – Tell me about yourself or Why do you need this job etc?
- This will help you set an impressive start to your interview and proceed to next steps with high confidence
- Make sure you understand all details about projects/experiences that are written in the resume
- Refresh yourself about all the technical skills that you have listed in your resume
- Read up concepts if not clear, practice some of the most commonly used interview questions etc in the few days before attending interviews
- Be open and simple in all answers
- Keep answers simple with clear explanation instead of talking everything about or around the question.
- Ask a question or two towards end of interview
- Show your curiosity and interest in the job or the company
References to Sample Questions on Different Topics
You can find some of the same questions related to different sections here, though this can never be a complete list.
- Sample Questions in Digital Logic Design:
- Sample Questions in Verilog:
- Sample Questions in SystemVerilog:
- Sample Questions in Verification Methodologies / UVM:
- Sample Questions in Computer Architecture:
- Sample Questions on Programming:
- Sample Behavioral Questions: